Saturday, November 7, 2015

Love and Marriage - My Thoughts



I never thought I would be writing an “advice” article on marriage. I think I am nowhere close to being an expert in this area, but I do have experience that I am willing to share.


I recently finished reading an article entitled something like “How to fulfill you husband’s 5 basic needs”. It was an article written to wives about how to make their husbands happy. The article was sort of “generic”, but the basic point was “give yourself freely to your husband.” It was not an article about sex, though that was one of the 5 basic needs. What disturbed me so much, was not the article itself, I totally agreed with the whole premise, but the comments left by so many women about having their own needs met. They took the idea of “fulfilling his needs” as meaning “being his slave.” Some of the comments were left by women whose photo pictured them kissing their husband (or boyfriend). So I got to wondering, “why are you with this person?” Do you actually love him, or are you using him to fulfill some need?


I should first explain what I believe love is all about. When you love someone, you will desire their happiness over your own. Love causes you to forget about yourself and focus on the object of your love. So, if you love your spouse, you will do whatever is best for him/her, no matter what the cost to you personally. The ultimate love will even move you to die for them, if necessary. I have met people who would die for their children, but not their spouse. So I again have to wonder, “do you actually love your spouse?” Love should be unconditional. If you will only love someone, provided you receive love in return, I believe you do not actually love them. There is no motive in love. You love simply to love. There is no expectation whatsoever of something in return.


For those in an unhappy marriage, whose fault is it? Most, in my experience, blame their spouse. I will hear things like, when we first got married he was so kind and loving and now he thinks only of himself. I do not doubt that may have happened. But I also wonder, “what changed to cause that?” Depending on your perspective, you may hate what I am about to say, but just consider this, is it possible that you stopped making your spouse your #1 priority? Did you stop trying to make them happy? If they lost focus on your happiness, did you in return change your focus on theirs? I’m not blaming anyone with these questions. I am only seeking clarity. How we respond to a situation is entirely up to us. So, if they are pulling back, or focusing on themselves, should your response be to also pull back? Or should it be to confront it and work it out? No one likes confrontation, but if you value your marriage, you will do what is necessary.


Again, I say, “love should be unconditional”. The moment you think, “what’s in it for me?” or “are my needs being fulfilled?” you are no longer loving your spouse. The only reason to fulfill your spouse’s needs is because you love them. What you get in return should not be considered. If you look for some sort of return, you are not loving them, you are simply being selfish. Now let me say, if your spouse has made it clear that they do not love you and they expect a slave and not a spouse, then maybe we’re in different territory… (or are we?)


When something changes in a marriage, it is up to YOU to figure out what it is and deal with it. If you take the attitude, “if my spouse won’t try to figure it out, or doesn’t want to work at it, why should I?” again, you are taking a selfish attitude. Sometimes, only one person sees that there is a problem. Don’t assume that you both see it.


I believe that marriage requires both people to work at making it great. If one starts slacking, the other may have to work harder to hold it together. We all go through stuff that makes us weak, or want to give up, or walk out, or whatever. The trick is to love unconditionally. Look at what that word “unconditionally” means. There are no conditions that will cause the love to stop flowing. So I ask, “under what conditions will you stop loving someone?” If you have a condition that could make you stop loving them, then you do not have unconditional love for them. Most of us have unconditional love for our children, but so many do not have it for their spouse. What’s wrong with that picture? Why do we put conditions on our spouse, but not our children? Are they not also human and prone to failing? Of course your spouse is going to screw up and disappoint you. If you thought otherwise, you need to seek some serious counseling. We know our children will fail us, but we’re ok with that. So why not allow your spouse the courtesy of knowing they’re not perfect? Every spouse is going to fail at some point. Get used to it! If THEY were perfect, why would they be with YOU?


Those who know me, know that I have spent a lifetime dealing with severe depression. Depression causes us to focus on ourselves. It does not make us selfish, but it somehow makes us focus on how miserable we feel. We can’t think about other people when we’re depressed. So how should my wife respond when I cannot even think about her during those times? I’ll tell you what she did. She loved me and supported me and sought to fulfill my needs as best she could. She never once told me that I was failing to meet her needs. She gave of herself fully to aid in my healing. Her own needs went completely unfulfilled. It would have been so easy for her to just walk away, but she remained completely selfless. Many times during the worst of it, I seriously considered suicide. But because of her love for me, I knew it was not the right answer to my problems. Her love was the only thread I was able to hang on to, it kept me alive (literally). It was the key to my healing. Today, I can freely give myself back to her. Yes, she was miserable during the worst stages. I was mean and cranky and would not communicate any sort of love for her. But she always returned love in response. She had to pick up all the slack left by me, because I stopped caring about everything. Her love for me was unconditional. If she required love in return, she would have left me, because it just wasn’t forthcoming.


I can see so many people saying that our case is the exception. Maybe it is. But if you don’t live it out, how will you ever know? Our entire society teaches us to care about ourselves FIRST. Love ourselves FIRST. While I believe we need to love and care about ourselves, I think the idea of that being “first” is wrong. It should be at the same time. When you marry someone, you become a part of a whole. What you do for your spouse, you are also doing for yourself. So if you love your spouse, you love yourself. When you put yourself ahead of your spouse, you are no longer working for the good of the whole and are actually creating a separation between the two of you.


So let me leave you with a couple of thoughts, part of my philosophy if you will:


You cannot receive love, unless you are willing to give it.

You cannot give love, if you expect something in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment